Wednesday, May 19, 2010

CLASSIC TALE: "Word on the street"

April 2, 2009 - Thursday

Current mood: jedi
Tonight I set out for a donation and patrol. I went out at around 8:15 as the sky was darkening. The place I intended to donate was once again, the Dorothy Day House, which provides shelter for the homeless. I wanted to take care of the donation before it got too late.
As I walked into the entry to Dorothy Day House, there were a couple of young guys (late teens?) who were manning the front desk. One of them said, "Hey, I know who you are. You're Geist!" I said yeah and asked if they had seen me on tv. Refreshingly, they said they hadn't. I asked how they knew about me then and they both said, "Word on the street, Man. Word on the street."
I thought that was cool. I'd rather be known from people talking about me than being on film. At least if they talk about me, they can exaggerate a little.
Did you know that I'm 7 feet tall, have a stare that instills fear, and truly disappear before your eyes? Me neither, but let's start those rumors flying, shall we?
Anyway, the guys introduced themselves and they were really nice. I dropped my bag of canned peaches, toiletry items and candy for the residents. I turned to leave and had trouble with the door. I think I pulled it when I was supposed to push it. I turned back to the guys for a second and said with determination, "I'll figure a way out of this." and pushed the door open and left.
I'm so suave...

I then set out on a foot patrol that became pretty lengthy. The only interesting thing about it was that my friend Phantom Zero happened to call me then, so we chatted a bit. He asked if I was wearing the night mask or sunglasses. I told him that I was wearing the glasses, but peering over them to drive.

I returned to my vehicle and wanted to cover more of the town. I drove from one end of town to the other, paying attention to neighborhoods with recent criminal activity. I didn't see anything. There were a few other drivers who seemed to be staring at me, though. That was weird.

I saw a few cops on the patrol and I got the feeling that they realized who I was and that I was on vehicle patrol. I hope that they realize that I'm another set of eyes and ears for them and that I'm more than willing to report whatever I might see.

Unfortunately, I didn't see anything to speak of. Nothing eventful. I returned to my lair (it sounds more mysterious that way) at 10:45. I do have to get up in the morning.

Anyway, that's it.
Stay safe and stay sharp,
Geist

No comments:

Post a Comment