Wednesday, May 19, 2010

CLASSIC TALE: My 09/11/09 Patrol

September 18, 2009 - Friday

Current mood: accomplished
A few of you know that the events of 9/11 2001 hit me a bit harder than most. Since I've become what we call a Real-Life Superhero, I've always tried to make 9/11 a positive day. That day shouldn't belong to the terrorists, but to all Americans trying to make a positive difference in this world while honoring the memory of the victims of the attack. I think we need to take it back and make it OUR day. I think that President Obama's concept of making it a national holiday and a Day of Service is an excellent idea. That's what I try to do.

So anyway, I had been saving up supplies and gathering items for donations to my usual favorite charitable causes.

I started out with a donation of a couple of big bags of food to Paws and Claws Animal Shelter. One bag for cats and another for dogs.

Next, I went to Interfaith Hospitality Network, a shelter for families on the run and in need of a new start in life. I know that kids stay there and often must feel alone in a new and strange environment. No one was there when I rang the bell and there was a note saying that someone would be back in about 20 minutes. I left a bag of stuffed animals and dinosaur toys hanging from the doorknob. Since I hadn't spoken with anyone, I left one of my cards, which says only:

Geist


Real-Life Superhero
www.myspace.com/superhero_geist

Then I went to Ronald McDonald House. For the kids there, I donated a big bag of aluminum pop tabs and a bag of assorted candy (individually wrapped, because the kids have to worry about infection and stuff. So you can't, for instance donate a bag of Twizzlers or popcorn or something like that.

I headed south toward the Channel One Food Shelf.

As I've mentioned before, when I have "a plan" or a mission of what I'm doing that day, I still try to ve VERY open to anything that might happen along the way. I might have goals, but I still have to be aware of

1) Anyone in trouble.
2) Anyone who just might need a hand with anything.
3) Happenstance. You just never know. I've been parked at a stoplight and watched a car get rear-ended right next to me. I was civilian, but was still glad to jump out of my vehicle with an emergency kit to hand to the nurse who ran to the scene.

So I try not to get too narrow or focused in my ideas about what I'm doing next. That's actually sort of a difficult attitude to learn and stick with.

And then I saw my old Friend, Thomas. Thomas, who's homeless and was recently featured and pictured in a front page story of the local newspaper.

http://www.postbulletin.com/newsmanager/templates/localnews_story.asp?z=2&a=413721

I walked up to Thomas and asked him if he was too famous to talk to me. He laughed and told me that two cops had asked for his autograph. We chatted about a lot of stuff, I gave him the granola bars and some canned Fruit Cocktail. I talked to his friend, Bob too. They're currently living in the woods nearby and said it's good weather to do that.

I went to Channel One and made a donation of a bag of groceries. I was able to chat briefly with a familiar lady there. She knew Geist and I recognized her and her great attitude.

I went on a daytime crime/helpwatch, but didn't find much. I a graffiti tags, but didn't paint over it because it's on an outdoor Coke vending machine. I don't think I have much of a right to add to vandalism on a privately owned thing like that. I photographed it and if I figure out how to post it, I will.

I also saw another homeless man, who I wasn't familiar with in north Rochester and was able to hand him a bag of food from Wendy's restaurant.

It was a good day and I'm sorry I hadn't blogged about it earlier. There's been a lot going on that you haven't been hearing about. It's sorta secret. But maybe not TOO secret... I'll find out which and let you know if I'm allowed.


All My Best,
Geist

No comments:

Post a Comment