Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A CLASSIC TALE: Redemption

November 23, 2008 - Sunday

Current mood: fabulous
Hi Folks!

I had a REALLY good day today.

I knew that the shipment of food for Angel Food Ministries was arriving today between 10 to 11am in Claremont, MN.

This was identical to the appointment that I promised to be at last month and then missed, throwing me into a temporary state of guilt, doubt and and a self-imposed "break" from RLSHs-ing that lasted about four days before I had to 'Cowboy-up' and get my butt back in gear to deliver some goods to some good people and kids before Halloween.

This morning I suited-up and took the drive to the rural small town of Claremont (population 609). It started out as a cold morning with snow on the ground, so I took my ultra-long and wide hand-knitted green scarf that actually keeps me very warm, but also serves as an impromptu mask, if I need it for cameras, etc.

I arrived early, which gave me time to drive around the town. I was a little hungry, so I stopped at the gas station (full costume minus the stun baton and bolas) and bought a beef stick. There was a nice lady personally manning a donation bucket for "The troops". I immediately thought of our RLSH-Friends, Knight-Owl and The Saint, across the seas and contributed as much as I could afford.

I met some people at the gas station, including some kids. I always try to address their parent first, and if the parent isn't freaking out, then I talk to the kids and try to remember to give them one of my cards that read, "You have met GEIST" with some handy emergency phone numbers on the other side.

Finally, the semi-truck arrived, full of low-cost, direct-from-wholesale food to be distributed from the tiny town of Claremont to a lot of other cities in the area. This IS a nation-wide program, so you might want to check if this is going on in your area at http://www.angelfoodministries.com/

And the volunteers arrived in droves. These are people who will organize, unload, sort and distribute the cases of food to their respective cities. And all the while, they were doing it today in the cold of a Minnesota winter today.

It was pointed out to me that I had a lapel pin ready and waiting for me. Every returning volunteer gets a name-tag. Mine reads, "GEIST - SUPER HERO Volunteer"

I hopped up into the back of the semi with Ralph, a good guy with a great sense of commitment with whom I've worked with before. The Point-Man for handling on the ground was Paul, a very nice and good-natured older guy. Penny is also on the ground with a clipboard, heading up the priorities and figuring out where the pre-ordered goods need to go. There were about 20 other people on the ground, waiting to help however they can and also to get the donations for their represented cities. This is part of why the food is so affordable. -Because all of these good people volunteer their time to do this on a cold Minnesota morning.

Like I said, it's Ralph and I up in the semi. One of the guys on the ground jokingly says, "Geist! Glad to see you back. I was wondering if you were maybe a one-hit wonder." I held up two fingers and said with a smile, "Nope. TWO. I'm a two-hit wonder." (I know we've seen each other at this event about four times now and I know that he was just kidding. He even made an unecessary point of sincerely expressing that later.) He was right in a way, though. It had been awhile since I'd been back to Claremont.
___

In the back of the truck, it was almost like we were on a stage, in a way. So I start cracking really lame jokes about almost every food item that we were hauling out.

Eggs: "Oh great. Just watch the 'Superhero' drop a crate of these. Don't count them until they're hatched."

Beef Boxes: "It's what's for dinner".

Thanksgiving box: "I think there's a live turkey in every box. You'll have to settle that matter for yourself.

Chicken breasts: "Now I want to point out that we unloaded the eggs and now we're unloading the chicken, so I think that big question is entirely settled now."

And there was a guy who tended to be the one I handed the empty pallets to. I said, "Look! Here's PALLET-MAN to the rescue!"
___

By the time we were done unloading, I was heated and was wishing I wasn't wearing the coat and scarf. It was good work for a good cause.

I went inside and spoke to my Good Friend Dorinda (Ladybee on my Friends list). We touched base about a few things as I sweated profusely. I said something like, "I'm sorry, but my glasses are fogging up." She said, "Well just take them off, then." And laughed. I said, "But it's like looking through a gauzy lens and you look so great today!."

Dorinda is a great friend and she's the soul of the operation. She inspires and maintains the good spirits in everyone's hearts. She's a Sweetheart.

I talked to some of the kids and then told Dorinda that I had a fun family obligation and needed to be on my way. She heard about the specifics of it and understood entirely.

On the drive back to Rochester I saw the wind farms that create clean electricity for us all. That was another reward to appreciate.

I also realized that I hadn't returned my volunteer pin, so I'll bring it next time I can help out.

Dorinda realizes that I can't help out every time, but I'd like to help most times. I've already gotten a "Thank you" comment from her. - As I've said, she's a Sweetheart.

Returning to Roch, I did a random city-wide patrol. There was nothing in the bright sunny cold daylight that needed my attention.

But it was a Good Day...
Geist

No comments:

Post a Comment