Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A CLASSIC TALE: City Pages interview

June 7, 2008 - Saturday
Hi Folks and Supes,

I told a lot of the other RLSH's about a patrol that I planned to do in Minneapolis and that I hoped to meet the Chief at Hero-Gear.net, Jack. Due to time constraints, I wasn't able to meet up with Jack.

And I feel bad that I hadn't told the rest of you why else I was going to Minneapolis.

I was, thanks to Jack, being interviewed by the well-respected Twin Cities alternative news/entertainment weekly newspaper, the City Pages. Jack arranged the whole thing, because they're doing an article about him and his relationship with the Real-Life Superheroes of the world. I'm apparently Minnesota's only RLSH so far, so Jack kindly suggested that they contact me. (And it's great that they have contacted several others and intend to contact more.)

The reporter is really cool, BTW. By cool, I mean honest and with interest, verve and integrity. I told him several things off-the record so that he could have a better understanding about what NOT to report about me and why not. I trust him, Ward, completely.

From him and my other experiences with print reporters, they do their job with integrity and high ideals, which aren't evident when movies or tv depict the media.

Although I loved it when John McClain's wife slugged that nasty jerk of a reporter in "Die Hard", that's not what 99% of reporters are or want to be. Of course, TV reporters (I have no experience with them) seem to be entirely a different story that I can't begin to address. I just know that with print reporters, at least, there is a jounalistic code of ethics. Their word is their word as much as yours or mine. They'll go to court and to jail to protect their sources (potentially you.) I had an old buddy of mine who went into the career and talked to me and introduced me to his colleagues.

______

Anyway...

The interview was very cool. And, as Jack warned me, very long, but fun. As of this moment, I don't feel like there was something that I left out and I don't think I said anything I shouldn't have said.

Then there was a photo shoot. All over the place. With a cool photog named Nick.

It was in the studio with my various equipment, it was on the rooftops, it was in a stairwell. The idea, as most of you with your own photos on your webpage photos, was to convey the drama (or potential drama) of confronting an RLSH. It was a blast! I even used one of my green smoke grenades. Very fun stuff and hundreds of shots. Wonder if any one of them is good?

Then it was time for the real mission. And Ward wanted to go along.

Doing some research beforehand, I found a charitable cause called "People Serving People" online and on the same street as the newspaper. I'm an idiot with maps, so I thought it would be a short walk. Then I realized that it was going to be a drive.
Ward got into the Geist-mobile (any car I happen to be in at the given time), with a medical emergency bag at his feet. I wonder if he knew why I carry that and if that's part of the superhero-gig or something else? -It's part of the RLSH for me. Be prepared, y'know?
Ward is asking me some questions as we drive and I see someone on the street. "Change of plans!" I said and pulled the car swiftly to a halt. I got out, reached into a bag in the back seat, and started chasing after a tattered man across the street who is pushing a shopping cart full of... I don't know what. I'm yelling, "Sir? Sir? Sir? SIR?" He finally turns around as I approach, looks at me and says, "You mean me?"
I said, "Yes. I have some food here. Can you use these?" It was a gallon of diced tomatoes and a bag of pasta. Stuff I had purchased in Rochester to donate to People Serving People. I had plenty more left, though. It was something, but maybe not the ideal gift for him.
He said, "Uh, yeah, sure."
I said, "I'm a Superhero."
He said, "Uuuuuuu... okay?" And I said that "I dress up like this and try to something good. It's fun for me."
He said, "Okay. Thank you." and I think he was glad I wasn't chasing him anymore maybe.

____


I wondered outloud to Ward if he isn't used to being called "Sir." And that everyone deserves to be called Sir. Ward added, "From a stranger on the street?" I agreed.

We didn't find any crime or other trouble on the way there, but I was looking.

As we approached the entrance for People Serving People, I made a bad joke to Ward that I don't think he understood, since he's kinda young. I said, "But it's a cookbook!" That's a reference to an old Twilight Zone episode, "To Serve Man." Most of the rest of you RLSH's are pretty young, too.
_____

We got to People Serving People and it was crazy. A wonderful and chaotic crazy.
__



The place was a madhouse - sort of. It was a fun madhouse where everyone is happy to be there and everyone is kept happy.
Ward and I placed my bags of donations on the security guard's desk, asked him to accept them. I told him that I'm a Real-Life Superhero and I asked if I could volunteer for an hour or two. He said that there was a process and procedure. I told him that I had emailed the staff a couple of days ago and he said he'd call someone. He was a great guy, doing his job in a very nice manner.
There were kids all over the lobby. Little kids, bigger kids. I'm a superhero and when I was a kid I loved superheroes, so I tried to introduce myself to all of them. As far as I could tell, they loved it.
Eventually a couple of young ladies appeared - Wendy and Stephanie. They told us to come through the metal detector. I warned that I would set if off and Wendy said it would be alright. (I think they pressed a button.)
We made introductions and Wendy said that she noticed that the kids were drawn to me, so that she'd show us around, have me do a little work and I would pass out books (for keeps) to the kids and adults. She had a Radio Flyer red wagon half-full of books that were mostly adult. We packed the rest with kids books, donated by various publishing companies, and went back down to the lobby.
The kids were having so much fun. They were VERY curious about me and asked me all sorts of questions. I asked them to look through the wagon, passed out books, and recommended some, based on their ages and interests.
I broke up a fight (in a nice manner) between a couple of kids. Passed out some more books. Some to adults, too. I answered all sorts of fun questions. One of the parents was like, "He's go no superpowers like the Punisher doesn't have superpowers, right? I said that "I'm a nicer guy than the Punisher. Think more like Batman." He said, "Cool. I gotcha straight."
And then the kids got back to me. They were having so much fun. So much curiosity. So much wonderment. About a Real-Life Superhero standing next to them. Talking to them. Getting on his haunches and answering their questions honestly on their level.
What a blast! I highly recommend donating your time to People Serving People or any other similar experience you can find in your area. Seeing those bright eyes of wonderment. Hearing those intelligent questions from young minds.

You'll be smiling all the way home.

Geist

No comments:

Post a Comment