Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A CLASSIC TALE: A return to the flood victims

August 25, 2007 - Saturday

Current mood: hopeful
I feel more hope for the victims of the flood today. I went back to Stockton with more supplies. Rushford, MN also needs much more help. My secret identity only allowed me the convenience to go Stockton today. I hope to be helping more with Rushford and other cities.
It was sunny. And although the devastation is evident, changes had been underway.
I've read the phrase, "700-year flood" referring to what happened to the people in our area. These are not naive people who built their homes in an ill-advised area to live.
I suited up and walked in with my offerings of clothing, towels, food, cleaning supplies. These were scrounged from my home.
Half a dozen policemen were taking a long-overdue break a ways away, facing the resource center, watching me and joking around a bit. Good for them. Those guys did the real hard work. I only get to waltz in a couple of brief times and get some unecessary attention.
A very elderly lady offers to take one of my bags and asks what's in it. I tell her that it's mostly food, but she'll want to look it over for cleaning supplies, too. One of the guys at the Resource Center comes over to me, puts a hand on my shoulder and announces, "This is my Masked Avenger from Rochester!" He remembered me (although I still wasn't wearing my actual mask)!
I shook his hand and told him that I'm Geist. He said he was Chris. I said, "Chris, I know you've got all you can do here, but keep up the good work, Buddy."
I asked Chris what's on his want lists. He told me that they gave away their last first-aid kit, he always needs boots, but what they really need now are socks. Dry socks.
After a couple of trips in with supplies and out, I waved to the policemen and drove off. I'm sure they got a laugh out of it and that's the way I want it. They need a laugh.
It was a sunny day, and you could see the difference in everyone. Three guys without overalls walked down the street caked in mud up to their chests. But they laughed and slapped each other on the back.
Seven people confronted a mud-strewn front yard and a fallen tree with ropes and a truck. They were covered in mud, determination and smiles.
I don't know if everyone feels this way about people in their area, but I feel that Minnesotans confront adversity particularly well. If for no other reason, our winters keep us in steady and consistent practice for it.
Help is still needed in many of the area towns and I'm not sure what I'm able to do soon - in costume.
Please give to the Salvation Army or the American Red Cross if you're able. That alone makes you a hero.

Geist Out

No comments:

Post a Comment